Eight Missing Members Of The U.S. Military Are ‘Presumed Deceased’ Off The Coast Of California

Authorities just made the tragic announcement that the search for eight missing members of the United States’ military off the coast of California has been called off after forty hours, with all of them now presumed dead.

The New York Post reported that the seven Marines and one Navy sailor had been missing since Thursday, when an amphibious assault vehicle sank in hundreds of feet of water during a training exercise.

“It is with a heavy heart that I decided to conclude the search and rescue effort,” said Col. Christopher Bronzi, commanding officer of the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit. “The steadfast dedication of the Marines, Sailors, and Coast Guardsmen to the persistent rescue effort was tremendous.”

“All eight missing service members are presumed deceased,” the unit wrote on Twitter on Sunday “Efforts will now turn to search and recovery.”

A total of sixteen members of the military were on the amphibious craft when it started taking on water in the middle of the exercise. Three of the service members were rescued from the craft and rushed to the hospital, where one passed away. The other two remain in critical condition at this time. Five others were rescued with no injuries and have since returned to their normal duties.

The names of the missing service members have not yet been released, and it is not yet known what caused the mishap in the first place. The Coast Guard, Marine Corps and US Navy spent forty hours searching 1,000 square nautical mile for the missing service members, but they have yet to turn up any trace of them.

Authorities believe the 26-ton military vehicle is lying hundreds of feet below the surface, which makes finding it an incredibly difficult task. At the time of the mishap, the vessel was returning to its base.

“They signaled to the rest of the unit that they were in fact taking on water,” Lt Gen Joseph Osterman said, according to The Guardian. “Immediate response was provided by two additional amphibious assault vehicles (AAVs) as well as a safety boat.”

“It sank completely,” he added, going on to say that it was in several hundred feet of water. At “26 tons, the assumption is that it went all the way to the bottom.”

Related Posts

This Sunday morning, the kids were out… See More

This Sunday morning, the kids were out, and the house was unusually quiet — the kind of quiet that feels peaceful at first, almost like a gift….

Woman Finds Diamond Ring On Beach

The ring caught her eye immediately because it shimmered in the golden light of the sun. After attentively inspecting the ring, Samantha noticed an etching that read…

Paparazzi captured Cher, 76, with no makeup and ….

The amazing look of this legendary singer never stops delighting the entire world. Paparazzi have caught her on a yacht when she was with no bra and…

Grab a pool noodle, light it up with LEDs, and make your backyard sparkle like never before!

Your Backyard Will Never Look The Same After This $3 Pool Noodle Trick. It starts with a knife, a few cheap noodles, and a handful of tiny…

Wow, that’s completely new to me!.

Tonight, a seemingly simple dish of shrimp prepared by my mother-in-law turned into a dinner dilemma. The shrimp were cooked with their shells on and, more importantly,…

Single Dad Bought a Storage Unit Full of JUGS OF COINS… His Life Changed Overnight When Daniel Harper raised his bidder card that Saturday morning, he wasn’t chasing treasure. He was chasing rent. At thirty-seven, Daniel was a single father in Tulsa, Oklahoma, raising his eight-year-old daughter, Lily, in a two-bedroom apartment that smelled faintly of old carpet and microwave dinners. He worked double shifts at a warehouse distribution center, loading and unloading trucks un…

When Daniel Harper raised his bidder card that sweltering Saturday morning, his pulse wasn’t racing with the thrill of the chase. Instead, it was heavy with the…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *